Remembering Manitoba’s Fallen Workers - Day of Mourning 2019
Apr 26, 2019
Every year on the National Day of Mourning (April 28), we remember those who have lost their lives or have been injured on the job.
First recognized in 1991, the day is observed across the country and in several communities throughout Manitoba.
In Winnipeg, a candle light Memorial Service at the Union Centre was held earlier today by the Manitoba Federation of Labour, followed by the Safe Workers of Tomorrow Leaders Walk. Hundreds joined the walk down Broadway, which concluded inside the Legislative Building.
Day of Mourning events are also planned this Sunday in Brandon (Flag Raising at City Hall at 2pm) and Thompson (USW Union Hall Ceremony at 10am).
Manitoba 2018-19 Work-related Fatalities
- January 13, 2018 - Felipe Ciriaco aged 70 from Winnipeg, passed away suddenly due to workplace fall.
- January 17, 2018- Todd Christian Barry Maytwayashing aged 22 from Lake Manitoba First Nation, was hit by a piece of falling steel as he was securing a load to a semi-trailer while working in Gillam, MB.
- February 18, 2018 - Kervy Quitane aged 30 from Winnipeg, a UFCW member who died while at his job at the Maple Leaf plant.
- May 22, 2018 - Xiaochun Luo aged 58, was a CUPE 500 member who worked with Winnipeg Water and Waste Department and died from a fall while working on top of a large chemical storage tank.
- June 12, 2018 - Terrence Lowdon aged 55 of High Bluff, died in collision when his gravel truck was struck by a CP Rail Train at a crossing on Two Mile Road.
- June 30, 2018 - Robert Smith aged 72, worked in construction and died suddenly when he fell off a roof he was working on.
- August 27, 2018 - Jason Zielke aged 38, was a fishing lodge guide who drowned on the job.
- September, 8, 2018 - Bradley Jackson aged 21 from Woodlands, died of his injuries after the semi-truck he was driving slid onto its side and contents filled the cab.
- September 15, 2018 - Kevin Anderson aged 38 from The Pas, was a Conductor/Engineer and proud member of the Teamsters 979 who passed away tragically after a derailment.
- October 20, 2018 - Dennis Stasiuk aged 71, a proud member of the International Boiler Makers Local 555 for 42 years. A workplace fall from a ladder in 2002 that left him paralyzed and eventually passed away from his injuries.
- October 25, 2018 - Philip Bartsch aged 61 from Austin, passed away suddenly by a falling object while working on his farm.
- October 30, 2018 - Randy McKay aged 18 from St. Georges, died in a vehicle rollover in the Whiteshell area.
- November 3, 2018 - Zdzislaw “Jack” Domaniewski aged 67 was a truck driver who died in a highway roll over.
- November 21, 2018 - Donald James Greig aged 59 from Melita, passed away in tragic electrical accident on the family farm.
- January 21, 2018 - Donald Cassels aged 84, a retired journey person Plumber and a proud life member of Local 254, passed away due to work related cancer.
- February 26, 2018 - Sidney Ramm aged 70, a journey person Plumber who succumbed to workplace related cancer.
- February 28, 2018 - Raymond Mazur aged 78, worked in the sign industry and succumbed to workplace oriented cancer.
- April 17th, 2018 - Roman Karalash aged 31 from Steinbach, was a carpenter who passed away due to an occupational illness.
- May 29, 2018 - Camillo Felicioni aged 84, worked in construction and passed away due to Workplace related cancer.
- June 14, 2018 - Melvin Phillips aged 73 from The Pas, passed away to work related illness.
- June 18, 2018 - Michael Marowitch aged 78, retired from the CPR Weston Shops in Winnipeg. He passed away from mesothelioma due to exposure of asbestos throughout his career.
- July 2, 2018 - Joao John Rocha age unknown, worked in construction and died of workplace related illness.
- July 4, 2018 - Lee Davis aged 80 from Flin Flon, passed away due to a workplace related illness.
- August 4, 2018 - John Lawrence Brown aged 91 from Winnipeg, was a bricklayer and instructor during his working life. He passed away due to a workplace related illness.
- August 16, 2018 - Friedrich Huebner age unknown, worked in manufacturing and passed away to do a workplace related illness.