COVID-19 Update for MGEU members
Mar 12, 2020
This update was posted on March 12, 2020. Because this situation is evolving rapidly, we encourage you to visit the MGEU's COVID-19 Information page for more information about this issue.
Following the guidance of public health officials, the MGEU is taking the following precautionary steps to reduce the risks for members and staff posed by COVID-19 (coronavirus):
1) Asking all members to stay away from union meetings/events if they are experiencing symptoms (coughing, sneezing, fever, or runny nose), or meet the public health criteria for self-isolation (contacts of a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19; travelers returning from Iran, Italy, or the Chinese province of Hubei; laboratory workers exposed during work).
3) Implementing provincially recommended infection-control measures in all MGEU offices (such as increasing the frequency of cleaning and disinfection of frequently-touched surfaces).
MGEU will continue to use the Government of Canada’s risk assessment tool for mass gatherings to determine if any union meetings and events should be cancelled, and to identify appropriate risk mitigation measures for union meetings and events that do proceed. No MGEU meetings or events have been cancelled at this time. When attending union meetings or events, all members are asked to practice social distancing techniques, including:
- minimizing prolonged (more than 10 minutes), close (less than two metres) contact between other individuals in public;
- avoiding greetings that involve touching such as handshakes;
- no sharing of buffet-style food (shared serving utensils or other dishware).
MGEU members with concerns and questions about COVID-19 in their own workplaces should first speak with a supervisor/manager and/or consult their workplace health and safety committee/representative. If members have further questions for MGEU, please contact the MGEU Resource Centre.
Please watch for further updates as the situation evolves.