MGEU calls on Premier to be straight with Manitobans about his real agenda
Apr 20, 2020
This morning, MGEU President Michelle Gawronsky released a statement about the Premier’s determination to impose mass layoffs and cuts to those who deliver our public services.
“We know mass layoffs and cuts are wrong. Wrong for Manitoba families who count on our public services, wrong for our members working on the front lines and behind the scenes to keep our province running, and wrong for our already struggling economy,” Gawronsky said. “But this Premier seems intent on getting his way, no matter how many people and their families get hurt.”
The Premier and his officials have said there will be significant layoffs even with his EI-workshare scheme and the MGEU is deeply concerned about Manitoba’s ability to respond to the challenges that arise from now until the end of this pandemic and beyond.
“Before considering the Premier's proposal, public workers deserve to have a clear answer from the government if the planned layoffs would be a temporary measure during the COVID-19 crisis or permanent, and how many public workers would be deemed non-essential,” she said.
Last week, the Premier said he wants to lay off as many as 25% of the staff who deliver our public services.
“Is he using the pandemic as an excuse to permanently cut public services and the jobs of those who provide them?” Gawronsky asked. “The Premier has already spent million hiring private companies to provide services that could be offered by existing civil servants in the province. He needs to come clean about his real agenda, he is putting Manitoba at risk.”
This story was posted on April 20, 2020. Because this situation is evolving rapidly, we encourage you to visit the MGEU's COVID-19 Information page for the latest information.